TRANSFORMATION: ‘A thorough dramatic change in form, appearance, nature, or character.’
– The American Dictionary
Our classes explore techniques necessary to become a full-blown human being on stage and screen. My desire is to train actors to disappear into a role and to expand their casting status. My experience is that actors tend to make small or uninteresting choices when the writer has given so many clues as to what those choices could be. An actor’s responsibility is to honor the writer. If an actor brings the writer’s world down to his own small world, it’s not enough to get the job. Therefore script analysis is essential. To investigate language, rhythm, meter, form. Researching a role – socially, economically, physically and spiritually. Technique is what gives you the freedom to play extravagantly well.
DIANE’S UPCOMING CLASSES
PASADENA, CA: February 26, 2024 – March 8, 2024
2-Week Master Class on The Selves
The class will be focused on character transformation through scene study. This workshop will introduce a new technique for the actor called Discovering the Seven Selves among them are the Vulnerable Self, Decisive Self, Unresolved Self, Trusting Self, Social Self, etc. We will begin the class with physical exercises that have been created for this particular technique. How does this technique affect you the actor in the scene? This work will expand your casting status if practiced and practiced! You’ll be amazed. This is the legacy of a great teacher at the Juilliard School who has given me permission to share it with the class.
So let’s take a risk.
Love you all
- When: February 26th – March 8th – 2 weeks for over 50 hours of training, in addition to one-on-one’s, emails and phone calls during the class with Diane
- CLASS SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday, 10 AM – 4 PM EST, Saturday & Sunday is for Homework Implementation & Rest
- CAPACITY: Capacity is limited to only 12 students.
- WHERE: Pasadena, CA
- AUDITIONS: Actors who have not worked with Diane before will need to audition over ZOOM. You can schedule your audition appointment now by going to the “REGISTRATION” Menu and filling out the application. This will start the process. For your audition you will need to present a monologue under two minutes in length from a published play.
- RETURNING STUDENTS: If you have taken a class with Diane before you will not have to ZOOM audition but she will still need to schedule a Zoom interview with you to discuss your scenes. If you have a strong desire to play a certain scene, please bring these options to the meeting. Once you have registered and paid the deposit we will reach out regarding a meeting time.
- DEPOSIT: $300.00 Nonrefundable Deposit is Due as soon as possible to reserve your space in the class. We go on first come first serve basis. Your deposit will go toward your full tuition.
- TUITION: $1750.00 Due February 16th 2024
- HOW TO PAY: Payment for Deposits and Tuition is via Zelle at Transarticulation@gmail.com — Once payment has been sent, please also send a screenshot of the confirmation from Zelle to the class coordinator (contact info will be provided once you register)
ATLANTA, GA: 4-Week Master Class Oct 23rd to Nov 16th 2023
**CLASS FULL- WAITLIST OPEN**
Sponsored by Trilith Institute
This fall, for the first time in Atlanta, Georgia, Diane Venora will be teaching HOW TO EXPAND YOUR CASTING STATUS by taking risks, exploring and experiencing multiple technical skills that primarily focus on the PHYSICAL work of TRANSFORMING you into the Character on the page.
These techniques include but are not limited to:
- ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE:Introduction of the Alexander Technique which allows the actor to relax, “I HAVE TIME,” correcting the alignment of the head, neck and spine; feet and walk; staying open in order to change habits that limit your possibilities.
“Real success is being open to change. The heart of adventure and risk and going in for it rather than running away from it – this is key to becoming a great actor. “ – Ken Rea
- LABAN’S EIGHT EFFORTS: Rudolf Laban was a dance artist, choreographer, and dance theorist. He is founder of Laban movement analysis, a way of documenting human movement by combining and exploring different Elements of Weight, Time, Space and Flow.
- ANIMAL STUDY: This work is the most transforming work, in my experience, in character development. Close animal study can help you discover your character’s way of seeing the world, how the spine moves and where you carry your center of gravity, along with the observation of how the animal balances the senses, eating habits, social environments, habitat, its rhythm of Life and the breathing patterns. This then can translate into your character.
- MOVING FROM DIFFERENT CENTERS: This is a tremendous tool and vivid approach to creating a character. It helps you achieve Transformation by breaking out of your personal habitual patterns.
- STATUS: Keith Johnstone in the context of improvisation, developed the very useful concept of status: ” whether on or off stage our behavior can be seen as predominantly high status, low status or somewhere in between. Status shouldn’t be confused with your role or social level: it’s about the way you DO things. By adjusting your status you can influence the other person.”
- PRESENCE: The 3 Circles of energy…. connecting to presence in the voice and breath, as well as the body. Centering your energy is crucial to unlocking your real power onstage and in Life. The power must be based on an energized relaxation, allowing you to be completely present in the moment. Radiating your energy outwards heightens your presence making you compelling to watch.
DETAILS & NEXT STEPS
- WHEN: October 23 – November 16, 2023 – 4 weeks for over 80 hours of training, in addition to one-on-one’s, emails and phone calls during the class with Diane
- CLASS SCHEDULE: Monday through Thursday, 10 AM – 4 PM EST, Friday – Sunday is for Homework Implementation & Rest
- CAPACITY: Capacity is limited to only 12 students.
- WHERE: Fayetteville, GA (Specific on-site location at or near Trilith TBA)
- AUDITIONS: Actors who have not worked with Diane before will need to audition over ZOOM. You can schedule your audition appointment now by going to the “REGISTRATION” Menu and filling out the application. This will start the process. For your audition you will need to present a monologue under two minutes in length preferably from a published play.
- Actors Who Have Worked with Diane: If you have taken a class with Diane before you will not have to ZOOM audition but she will still need to meet with you via Zoom before the class to discuss your scenes. Once you have registered and paid the deposit we will reach out regarding a meeting times.
DATES, PAYMENTS & REGISTRATION
Time is short, so please act quickly. The deadline for the Early Bird Discount and also the cut-off date to apply is October 9, 2023. Tuition balances are due by the first day of class, October 23. 2023.
- Full Tuition: $2,500.00
- Non-Refundable Deposit: To Hold Your Spot is $500.00
- EARLY BIRD 10% DISCOUNT: For registration by October 9th: $250.00
- Full Tuition $2,500.00
- Non-Refundable Deposit – 500.00
- Early Bird Discount – 250.00 (Due by Oct. 9th)
- Total Due by 1st Class: $1,750.00
Diane is the first American woman to play the title role in “Hamlet” for Joseph Papp’s NY Shakespeare Festival. Her film & TV roles include a critically acclaimed performance in Clint Eastwood’s biographical feature “Bird”, which earned her a Golden Globe nomination and the New York Film Critics Award; a recurring role in the Emmy award-winning series “Chicago Hope”; Al Pacino‘s wife in “Heat” with Robert DeNiro; ‘Juliet’s mother’ in Baz Luhrmann’s “Romeo + Juliet” starring Leonardo Dicaprio; and the female lead in “The Jackal” opposite Bruce Willis, Richard Gere & Sidney Poitier; Russell Crowe’s wife in Michael Mann’s “The Insider”. Diane is a Juilliard graduate and continues to study new acting techniques in both London & New York.